Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Happy New Year!

Hi there,

Happy New Year! I hope you had a great festive season and a nice relaxing break. I worked all the stat days, but it was actually quite nice to do so.....people tend not to be grumpy at Christmas. And I'm enjoying the benefits of working those days with the extra dosh in my pocket!

As I type, the nor' wester is blowing very hot outside. This is when I am rather thankful for the house we live in.....it's a very pleasant non-humid place to be on days like today.
Anyway, thought I'd post some pics of the canvas calendars I did for Christmas pressies....sneak peaks were in my last post.

This first one didn't get a sneak peak though. Another take on Dianne Hanson's heritage page (the class at the 2012 Spring Raincliff retreat). I glued it onto a canvas and the final product went with a little easel to Rodney's mum Iris. The photo is of the 5 Fraser kids when Rodney was about 12 months old. Hence the title "heritage" !!! :-)



This canvas was given to Rusty and Jill. I chose the red and sort-of black colourings to represent the Canterbury region.

 

The little group of bits and bobs in the bottom left corner has several different elements; the cat, heart and larger flowers are made from my resin molds. The flowers and heart painted red and then spritzed with Perfect Pearls Black Magic. The cat was inked with Ranger's Espresso alcohol ink. I used my new D-lites spellbinders dies. There are a few little red paper flower buds in there too.

 
The background has several different things to create the texture - Paper Perfect (kind of like modelling paste but it is lumpy rather than smooth to apply. It's great stuff. I also used the last of some weird paper I bought a while ago - it has a semi-sheer backing with random swirls of a string-like stuff. (No idea how to describe it sorry!). And there's some mesh tape in there too.
 
 
This one went to Robyn and Craig. Apart from the obvious green and red Christmas colouring, there was no real reason for it...I just liked it. :-)
The background is covered in the Paper Perfect and then spritzed with two shades of green Perfect Pearls (sorry, forgotten which ones. I'm hopeless). I then sprayed gold Krylon Webbing Spray in blobs. It's supposed to be more spread out and stringy, but I was a bit out of practice. You have to get the right distance away and it kind of goes all over the place.

 
 
The embellishment bits were some more resin molds (roses and butterflies) and some Make It Crafty chipboard pieces (branches and butterflies - small ones).
 
 
This last one was for Paul and Ann. Paper Perfect again on the background, along with the Dusty Attic brick wall pieces coloured with a mix of blue and yellow Perfect Pearls sprays. 
 
The embellishments are a real mix of things. Dusty Attic vine, with "grapes" made of purple seed beads, resin butterflies and small flowers, a trinket clock (spritzed with Black Magic Perfect Pearls) and some leaves. 




 
So there they are. The calendar part of the finished product is replaceable so the theory is I only have to print off a calendar for next Christmas. Maybe I won't have so much creativity on the go.....chance would be a fine thing.

Hope you're having a great week. Catch you later.

K.

2 comments:

  1. Lucky recipients of your wonderful art calendars. Love what you did with the heritage layout. Bet your .MIL loved it. I need some mixed media lessons off you. The textures look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps a class for EmbellishIt Dianne? I could be arm-twisted..... :-)

    ReplyDelete