Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Back from Cairns

Well, I'm back from Cairns and have had my first day at my new job at BP.

Cairns was fantastic. Very hot and most days muggy/humid but it was all good and as expected. When it did rain it wasn't cold and I was fortunately under cover at those times.

Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of the actual athletics that I went for but I did get a few pics of my day out with Christine, Ian & Tyson (Siser-in-law, her hubby, and son) and Cleo (the dog). When I've decided which ones to scrap you'll see some of them. :-)

I was appointed to be Chief Walk Judge simply because I was the highest graded walk judge there. I had a hand in sorting out the course which went well, all except for the fact that we neglected to notice there was a helicopter pad (for the hospital) right by the course. We were advised on the morning of setting up that we'd have to vacate the course if a helicopter flew in. Aargh! Fortunately we didn't have to put our hastily put-together backup plan into action and didn't have to use the dreaded H word. I can laugh now! And certainly will remember that for future courses.

I spent the rest of my time at the track working on the throws and also helping out with relay changes. The event was the Oceania Area Champs - my first real international event. It was a great experience and I met some more very nice people some of whom are coming over to NZ in January for the IPC champs (Paralympic world champs for athletics).

My first day at work went well. I spent the morning in the shop serving customers mostly. Didn't take long to work out how to use the till. :-) Some people mumble badly when they request cigarettes so that makes it doubly harder to work out what it is they want. Oh well, I'll soon get the hang of it.

I go to Chch next week for admin training and then back here the following week. Going to be lots of fun!

Have a great week.
K

No comments:

Post a Comment